Pain- The part and parcel of life
All humans experience pain at one or the other stage in their lives. Pain can be described as an unpleasant emotional and sensory experience. It is body’s way of communicating to us that all is not well.
In spite of being a not so life threatening issue, pain can make life hell for many people. According to a recently conducted research, the incidents of pain cases being reported in the medical fraternity has been slowly and steadily increasing over the years.
The number of pain related cases among the teens has also seen a considerable increase over the last few years. There is no standard pain relief strategy which may work for everyone.
Many people find a lot of relief from pain only with natural herbal remedial measures. Depending on the seriousness and severity, treatment may be provided.
Pain can be broadly classified as
Acute pain: The onset of acute pain occurs suddenly and is very sharp in quality. This acts as a sign of warning or threat to the body. The causes of the same could be any of the following:
- Dental work
- Burns and cuts
- Child birth and Labor
- Breakage of bones.
Acute pain generally lasts for few weeks or months and goes away when the underlying cause is treated. An untreated acute pain can become the reason for chronic pain.
Pain persisting for longer than 3 months is generally termed as chronic pain. In chronic pain, the pain is known to persist even after the healing of the injury. The pain may linger on for weeks, months and even years. In some cases, people are known to suffer from chronic pain even without a past history of injuries.
Causes for chronic pain could be due to any of the following reasons:
- Pain in the lower back
- Nuerogenic pain.
- Psychogenic pain
The physical impact of pain can hinder and hamper the normal and leisure activities of a person. These physical effects may range from
- Limited mobility,
- Tensed muscles,
- Low appetite and
- Low energy.
Pain can also trigger and affect the emotional effects such as the following.
- Fear of getting injured again.
Almost all are aware of how it feels to be in pain irrespective of its origin- Stubbed toe, headache, strain, sprain, sports injury. No matter what the reason for pain in any form can be most unpleasant and debilitating.
In essence, pain or ache is the outcome of electric signals being sent from one’s nerves via the nervous system to the brain.
6 effective natural remedies for pain relief
- Ice: Applying ice packs on inflamed or painful areas within 24 hours of any injury will work wonders in keeping inflammation to its minimum thereby easing discomfort by reducing the capability of the nerves in sending any pain signal to the brain.
- For best results, place ice cubes inside a plastic bag or a soft thin towel and place it on the affected area. Leave it for at least 15 minutes, remove it for 30 minutes and again replace it for the next 20 minutes. It is one of the most effective natural remedies for pain relief.
- Hot vinegar solution: Soaking tired, aching hands or legs in a solution of hot vinegar will work wonders in relieving joint pain.
- Fish oil: Enriched in Omega-3 fatty acids as well as other vital fatty acids, fish oil is one’s bet against Cohn’s disease, Gout, Sinusitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Fish oil works by blocking pain chemicals such as leukotrienes and cytokines. Omega 3 is simply beneficial against joint pains.
- Boswellia: This Indian herb has proven beneficial in relieving pains ranging from minor-chronic pains such as Rheumatoid Arthritis. Boswellia unlike any synthetic pills is less toxic and above all it is side effects free. This herb can be used either as a topical cream or taken as a supplement. This is one of the most recommended natural remedies for pain relief.
- Massage: As per studies, it has been proved that massage is a good way to keep pain away. Massage helps to loosen the muscles and thereby induce relaxation. A proper massage helps in releasing the body’s natural pain killer known as endorphins for further reducing the pain response. There are different kinds of massage for targeting specific pain areas.
- St John’s Wort: Applying this herb directly on the affected area is highly beneficial in relieving pain. Using St John’s Wort is ideal for curing back pain.
By trying out the different above mentioned natural remedies for pain relief, one can find cure from pain very fast especially for acute pains.
If the pain still persists, consulting a physician to find the exact cause and treating the same would be the ideal way to handle the problem of pain.