Licorice is one of the most commonly used natural ayurvedic herbs. ’Yashtimadhu” is its Sanskrit name. It is found in the warm sub-tropical regions of the world. Yashtimadhu herb has health components such as plant sterols, flavonoids, volatile oils, glycyrrhizic acid, coumarins, glycosides, asparagine, chalcones and anethole that are responsible to cure various diseases.
Let us go through the innumerable benefits of licorice
- Soothes coughs and bronchitis – This ayurvedic medicine may be used in the treatment of asthma, acute and chronic bronchitis and chronic cough.
- Cures skin problems – The extract from licorice roots is useful to cure skin rashes, eczema, psoriasis, dry and itchy skin, the extract can be used in the form of cream or paste.
- Respiratory Problems – This natural herb is very effective in treatment of asthma, eczema and rheumatoid arthritis, due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Controls Stress- Glycyrrhizic acid in Yashtimadhu herb regulates the normal adrenal gland function that results in better control of the stress hormone. This process makes it a best natural remedy for depression, stress and chronic fatigue
- Protects liver – The herb Licorice has anti-hepatotoxic properties and so it is found to be very effective in the treatment of cirrhosis and chronic hepatitis, for which it is widely, used in Japan. It acts as a good memory enhancer
- Aids – The Glycyrrhizin acid acts as a potent anti-viral that treats viral infections such as Herpes or AIDS.
- Anti-Aging – Yashtimadhu root contains a compound “Carbenoxolone” that has anti-ageing properties. The hair oil made of Yashtimadhu thus prevents premature graying of hair.
- Gastric and duodenal ulcers – Yashtimadhu is a natural antacid and acts naturally on the stomach by blocking acid formation in the stomach. It relives the stomach from irritation caused by acidity. It ultimately prevents ulcer formation of (duodenal and gastric) in the stomach.
Thus the herbal medicine Yashtimadhu from Himalaya has anti-ulcer, anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties that are best natural cures to treat acid peptic disease, anti-ageing, respiratory problems, skin infections and many more. Take care.