If you are the one who admires herbalism then you would have surely heard about the herb Gokshura and its benefits. Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris) is one of the most revered Ayurvedic herbs due to its munificent health benefits.
It’s a flowering plant which generally grows in warm and tropical regions. The fruits and leaves of the plant contain bio-chemicals such as saponins and flavonoids such as rutin, kaempferol, quercetin, kaempferol-3-glucoside and-rutinoside and tribuloside. The seeds contain the carboline alkaloids harmane and harmine.
All these compounds lend the herb its medicinal properties.
- The most renowned function rendered by Gokshura is in reproductive system. It helps boost libido, enhance sexual performance by improving sexual desire and drive. It strengthens penile tissue and improves erection which offers a good support in erectile dysfunction. In this way, this natural herb offers good aphrodisiac properties.
- Urinary diseases such as kidney stones, urinary tract infections or bladder infections can be greatly arrested with this herbal remedy.
- It exhibits potential antimicrobial properties against pathogenic strains of S. aureus, Bacillus subtilis, B. cereus, E. coli, Corynebacterium diphtheriae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Candida albicans.
- Several research studies suggest the use of Gokshura in controlling high blood pressure. It has produced vasodilator effects in experimental animals and thus lowers the hypertension.
- The active compound called saponin can be related well with the positive effects in managing diabetes.
- With its activity of regulating female sex hormones such as estrogen, it can help alleviate the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and menopausal syndrome.
- Tribulus Terrestris is used with several other herbs make formulations to treat headaches, itching of eye, conjunctivitis, weak vision and nervousness.
Thus, Gokshura is a multifaceted herb that is a single solution for many health problems. But remember that it should not be used in place of classical medicines (as given by your doctor) to cure any serious health condition.