Vitamins are micronutrients essential for our body in minute quantity for proper glandular functioning and the synthesis of neurotransmitters. There has been a long debate in medical science that stress can be relieved by certain vitamins and now there are enough evidences to prove efficacy of vitamin as a stress reliever. Now we will look first what happens when we are under stress and then we will discuss how vitamins work to cope with stress.
What happen during stress?
When you are under stressful condition, the stress response is activated and cortisol is produced also called as the stress hormone. Fight or flight response is also activated releases fats and carbohydrates into the blood stream. Free radicals also released as a stress response. These all lead to anxiety, increased fatigue and frustration.
The level of serotonin also decreases due to stress; serotonin is a neurotransmitter that keeps you calm.
How Vitamins relieve stress?
- Now we know cortisol is produced as a stress response. To break down cortisol vitamins is required, if supplemented vitamins during stress, cortisol level decreases and you can feel relaxed.
- Niacin; a B vitamin constitutes; is necessary for the normal synthesis of serotonin. If Niacin is supplemented during stress it increases synthesis of serotonin which relieves stress.
- Vitamins C and B-complex are needed to break down fats and carbohydrates released in blood as a Fight or flight response
- We know vitamins are a rich source of antioxidants, that means vitamins neutralizes free radical level produced during stress conditions.
- Vitamin C will boost the immune and nervous systems during stress. This will make you feel better and healthier.
- Coenzyme Q10 helps in energy production to feel more energetic.
- Zinc is an important mineral which can help restore and maintain a healthy immune system.
This all we can get from foods what we eat daily. A lot of vegetable, fruits, cereals, seafood will help us to get this and we can be stress free forever.