Respiratory Problem: an overview
Winter season means flu, colds, coughs and sneezes for most of us. Coughs and colds can leave one drained and miserable. Runny nose, itchy eyes and sore throats are common symptoms of the long winter season.
Boosting the immune system by staying healthy and fighting the pesky bug are some of the ways to overcome common coughs and colds. Many home remedies such as green tea, ginger and honey provide excellent relief from the cold and flu.
Along with the home remedies, there are certain Respiratory herbs whose effectiveness in setting right all respiratory related problems has been known since eons.
Regular consumption of these Respiratory herbs on a weekly or daily basis helps in enhancing and strengthening the functioning of the throat, nose, pleural cavities, trachea, larynx and lungs.
Herbal cure for treating respiratory related disorders:
- Known for warding off vampires, this herb is also equally effective in warding off cold and flu, combating respiratory infections including viral ailments.
- Garlic contains allicin and ajoene that shows potent virucidal and antibacterial activity.
- Studies have revealed that garlic helps in promoting overall immune health.
- Its effectiveness in overcoming bacterial infections related to the respiratory tract has to be used to be believed.
- Garlic is also known to bolster the capacity of the respiratory tract in defending against viral infections. Hence it can be called as one of the most popular respiratory herbs.
Wild cherry bark:
- A powerful cough suppressant, it is used for soothing coughs related to sore throat and also dry and nervous coughs.
- For getting best results, use it in the syrup form together with slippery elm, onion, garlic and licorice.
- An antispasmodic and an expectorant, Coltsfoot is enriched with beneficial levels of zinc that gives it an anti-inflammatory effect.
- This effective respiratory herb is found useful in treating acute or chronic bronchitis, asthma, emphysema, whooping and irritating coughs.
- Mullein flower a demulcent is particularly effective in bronchitis when one has a hard cough accompanied with soreness.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties work wonders in treating hard cough and soreness. The leaves of this flower are also highly beneficial.
- This herb helps to tone the mucus membrane of the lung, thereby decreasing inflammation as well as stimulating the production of mucus thus helping expectoration.
The above mentioned respiratory herbs if used regularly and properly can be the body’s best and least expensive defense mechanism against colds and flu.
Along with the use of herbs for curing respiratory problems, certain lifestyle modifications if adopted would help in maintaining a good respiratory health.
This can be in the form of breathing clean fresh air, eating a nutritious and healthy diet, doing exercises regularly, cutting down on mucous-forming foods including refined processed food, excess of sugars, eggs and dairy products.
All the measures mentioned above if adopted will not only help in keeping coughs, cold and flu at bay but minimize their impact even if they take hold.